Friday, February 16, 2007

Flat out like a lizard... Sunning!


I have written about lizards before, but I thought it appropriate to show a couple sunning themselves! Each work day, I walk under the Story Bridge, and in the heat of the day during summer you can literally see up to 20 lizards in the space of about 50 metres. The path runs behind the Medina Hotel. These two were about mid size, and you could almost consider them domesticated as I was able to get quite close without them running off!

These lizards are of the Australian Water Dragon variety, or Physignathus lesueurii. They often will be on rock walls, or in some instances they will block your path on many of the walkways around the city. Including their tails, which comprise about two-thirds of their total length, adult females grow to about 2 feet long while adult males can grow slightly longer than 3 feet. You're far less likely to see them during winter, when they go through their hibernating phase.


During Summer this is one of those constants that I have in life. I know that as I walk under the bridge, I'm going to have to try not to stand on one. The babies, in particular, have a habit of sunning on the warm path, and then darting off as you get near with a scurrying sound as they dart off into the undergrowth. There are definitely days I wish I could scurry off with them!

Cheers, I Love Brisbane, Wes.

Click Here for the Google Map Reference for this post.

No comments: