Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The Axeman

In a small arcade off Queen Street, just before you hit Edward Street and at the side of the National Australia Bank, you'll stumble across an Axeman undertaking his trade. The Axeman is a sculpture created by John Underwood's Artbusters organisation and was relocated here by the bank at some point after World Expo 1988 for the people of Brisbane. The sculpture was part of the Human Factor sculpture series of approximately 90 works originally at the Expo site at Southbank.

The "Human Factors" sculptures created quite a stir at the World Expo 88 in Brisbane. Although these creations, made of fibreglass and coated white, simply showed people doing ordinary things, they derived their powerful impact from the way they illustrated universal and timeless human qualities. The sculptures can still be found at several other locations around Brisbane.

I quite literally discovered this sculpture whilst wandering around the city. I had no idea it was there, but my new found attention to more of the hidden delights of the city drew me down this otherwise unexplored arcade. The Axeman has stood the test of time well, still poised and ready to chop after nearly 20 years! I can only hope that I'd be in as good a shape after 20 years at my job. Wait a minute?! I better check the mirror!

Cheers, I Love Brisbane, Wes.

Click Here for the Google Map Reference for this post.

1 comment:

Pollyanna said...

The picture of the lampstand threw me at first,I was like, "i don't see a ax man!" hahahaha. Your city has quite a lot of sculputres, doesn't it? Very very very cool.